History

1943
Founded by Mr. Laurie F. Pratt, who served as Board of Directors President for 12 years
1943
Mr. Hal C. Stephens named as the first Executive Director
1943
Opened the first Boys Club at 312 West Vine Avenue in downtown Knoxville
1951
Moved to 623 Jessamine Street
1953
Named local Club member John Ed Roberts as National Youth of the Year
1955
Opened a state-of-the-art facility at 407 Caswell Avenue
1963
Established and opened The Girls Club of Knoxville in a house at 240 E. Baxter Avenue
1969
Opened the Vestal Club in South Knoxville
1973
Expanded to the South Knoxville Community Center along with the Girls Club
1978
Accepted the retirement of the first Executive Director of the Boys Club, Mr. Hal C. Stephens
1979
Hired the second Executive Director of the Boys Club of Knoxville, Mr. John D. Lee
1979
Hosted the D.D. Lewis Celebrity Golf Tournament at Whittle Springs Golf Course
1980
Unveiled clasping hands logo as Boys Clubs of America and Boys Club of Knoxville adopted a new national identity
1982
Expanded the Boys Clubs of Knoxville in public housing
1982
Became the beneficiary of the Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame, newly founded by Mr. Emmet P. “Buck” Vaughn, Jr.
1984
Opened the Gene Monday Gym when Mr. Eugene Monday purchased the former location of The Girls Club on Baxter Avenue
1989
Held the first Great Knoxville Rubber Duck Race
1989
Held the first Tim Irwin Bass Tournament
1990
Formed the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Knoxville as the Girls Club of Knoxville dissolved its charter
1990
Benefitted from the Knoxville Open, which began as The Ben Hogan Tour
1992
Set precedent as Mrs. Rhonda Taylor became the first female Board President of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Knoxville
1995
Kicked off the “Challenges & Choices” Capital Campaign co-chaired by Mr. R.L. “Bunny” Oakes and Mr. Emmet P. “Buck” Vaughn
1996
Opened the Moses Teen Center and the John D. Lee Administrative Offices
1999
Expanded into Loudon County
2000
Expanded into the suburbs of Halls/Powell with the Pete DeBusk Club
2001
Shifted the D.D. Lewis Golf Tournament to the Phillip Fulmer Golf Classic
2002
Changed our name to the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Tennessee Valley
2003
Hosted the kick-off for the “Feel it in your Heart” Capital/Endowment Campaign for the Larry A. Fleming Campus
2003
Expanded into Blount County
2004
Opened Richard L. Bean Detention Center in partnership with Knox County Juvenile Court
2005
Expanded into North Anderson County
2008
Opened the Haslam Family Club University on the Larry A. Fleming Campus
2009
Inducted Judge Tim Irwin into the Boys & Girls Clubs of America Hall of Fame
2011
Accepted the retirement of Mr. John D. Lee, the second President/CEO, after 41 years of service
2012
Hired Lisa T. Hurst, Ed.D, the third President/CEO on January 1, 2012
2014
Kicked off the “Our Kids, Our Future” Capital Campaign co-chaired by Tony Hollin and Dugan McLaughlin
2016
Hired Bart McFadden, the fourth President/CEO
2016
Opened the new Haslam Teen Center on the Larry A. Fleming Campus
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
Instagram
Donate Online